Your taste buds will cheer for this vibrant cocktail. The prickly pear syrup gives this cocktail its exquisite fuchsia color and delicious raspberry-citrus flavors. The combination of salt, sugar, and lime zest for the rimmer adds a delightful zing.
- 3 ounces tequila blanco
- 1/2-ounce Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1 1/2 ounces freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 2 ounces prickly pear syrup*
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar,
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Prickly pear or lime slice for garnish
- Pour the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and prickly pear syrup into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously to incorporate. (You can also blend the cocktail ingredients with ice in a blender.)
- Combine the salt, sugar, and lime zest on a small plate. Run a slice of lime around the rim of a chilled glass and dip into the mixture and coat the edge.
- Fill the glass with ice and pour in the margarita. Garnish with a prickly pear slice (available at many Hispanic and Asian markets) or a slice of lime.
*Prickly pear syrup can be purchased online. My favorite brand is Cheri’s Desert Harvest.