You can use any fruit or combination of berries for this frozen treat. For this recipe I used fresh blueberries with lavender for one batch and fresh yellow peaches for the other. The contrast in colors is pretty and the combination of flavors, topped with my favorite Empress gin, is perfection.
- 4 cups fresh fruit or berries (frozen fruit can also be used)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional minced herbs, lavender, mint, lemon verbena, basil, etc.
- Optional sparkling wine or alcoholic beverage of your choice
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until puréed.
- Pour into a freezer safe container, a metal pan works best, but you can also use a glass bowl. *
- Freeze for about 30-40 minutes, then with a fork break the ice crystals.
- Repeat 3-4 times or until mixture is slushy.
- Serve in a glass with a spoon, pour a little sparkling wine, or a shot of vodka or gin over the fruit for a refreshing cocktail. Garnish with fruit and a sprig of mint.
*You can also use an ice cream maker.
For the blueberry granita I added 1 tablespoon of finely chopped lavender flowers. Lavender is quite powerful, so you can adjust the amount as you like.
About Keli Sim DeRitis
Keli Sim DeRitis is an artist, designer, passionate cook, teacher, and tour guide. Keli founded Poggi Bonsi in 2001 to share her love of European travel, food, wine, and culture. Connect with me on Google+
- Web |
- More Posts(355)