Nothing says summer like fresh tomatoes and this salad is a lovely way to use an abundance of cherry tomatoes. Perfect for alfresco dinners on the deck along-side grilled meats.
- 1 Loaf crusty Italian of French bread (to make about 3 cups of bread cubes)
- 1 cup Persian or English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup mozzarella ciliegine balls, halved
- 1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup EVOO
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons
- Ritrovo Selections Organic Tomato Balsamic Vinegar*
- 1 teaspoon Casina Rossa Herbs&Salt
- 1 Bunch basil stems removed, chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes, arrange on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1/4 cup of EVOO. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until crisp and slightly browned. Remove bread from the oven and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, tomatoes, mozzarella, onion, and bread cubes.
- In a small bowl whisk together ½ cup Marino Organic EVOO, Ritrovo
- Pour over the salad ingredients, tossing gently. Gently mix in the basil chiffonade.
- Cover and allow to rest at room temperature for an hour or two before serving. Drizzle with more olive oil and season with Herbs&Salt to taste.
*Traditionally a red wine vinegar is used for this salad, but I like the slightly sweet flavor of Ritrovo’s Tomato Balsamic.