Makes 1 loaf
For the Cake:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon Sea Salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
2 tablespoons Aperol Liquor (you can use Limoncello or Cointreau)
½ cup Poggi Bonsi Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the Glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar (you can also use granulated sugar)
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice
2 tablespoons Aperol (you can use Limoncello or Cointreau)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush an loaf with olive oil and add enough flour to coat bottom and sides.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium mixing bowl.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and Aperol (or other liqueur).
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the olive oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.
- Brush the inside of the loaf pan with olive oil and coat with flour. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- For the glaze: Mix the 1 cup powdered sugar and the lemon or orange juice in a small sauce pan, simmer until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the Aperol (or other liqueur) and mix well. Drizzle glaze over the warm cake, allow the cake cool.
Serve with creme fraiche, a sprig of mint or with fresh berries and zabajone…and an Aperol Spritz!