Makes about 2 cups
- 1 1-inch thick slice of crusty bread, crust removed
and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large tomato
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil. Place almond, garlic, bread and tomato on baking sheet and place in the oven. Roast almonds until fragrant and bread is crusty and just starting to
brown,about 10 minutes. Remove almonds and bread and continue roasting garlic until soft and tomato until tender, about 20 minutes more. Remove from oven, let cool slightly and remove skinfrom tomato and peel garlic.
- While other ingredients are roasting in the oven, roast peppers over an open flame on a gas stove or grill until the skins are blackened. Place in a paper bag, close and let sit until cool enough to handle. Remove charred skin, seeds, and cores.
- Place bread, tomato, almonds, peppers, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Purée until smooth. Taste and season with additional salt and cayenne pepper as needed.
- Place in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator until cool. Store refrigerated up to 5 days.
- Serve with chicken, pork, or salmon, and with Warm Nuts & Olives.