These delicious margarita cookies can be enjoyed with or without the addition of tequila. Adapted from McCormick Spice’s Sugar Rimmed Margarita Cookies.
Makes 24 cookies
- 2cups flour
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- Green Food Coloring optional – I used six drops McCormick Neon Green & 2 Drops McCormick Green
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon finely grated lime peel
- 1teaspoon Pure Orange Extract
- 1/2cup sanding sugar
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1tablespoon water
- 1tablespoon tequila
- Mix flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, lime peel, extract and food coloring if using; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a log about 9 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in wax paper.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven 350°F. Mix sanding sugar and kosher salt. Roll each cold dough log in mixture to coat evenly. Cut dough into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place on ungreased baking sheets. If desired sprinkle a bit of additional sugar and salt mixture on tops.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Drizzle Glaze over cooled cookies. If desired sprinkle lightly with salt/sugar mixture. Let stand until glaze is set.
- Mix 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, and 1 tablespoon each water and tequila in small bowl until smooth. (Or omit tequila and use 2 tablespoons water.)