I learned to make this delicious pesto in a little shop in Genova, Italy. It’s traditionally made in a
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubes day-old rustic bread,
soaked in ½ cup milk
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Place bread cubes in a bowl, add milk, stir to coat bread pieces and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse to grind the nuts.
- Add the garlic and pulse.
- Add the bread and milk mixture, pulse until mixed.
- Add sage and Parmesan cheese, continue pulsing.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and pulse until blended.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Do not worry if the sauce looks thick, add a little of the water from cooking the gnocchi or pasta.
- Toss with gnocchi or pasta. Or top a crostini with this delicious pesto!