Recipe courtesy of Jennifer McIlvane www.lifeitalianstyle.com
- 8 medium size potatoes (not too floury, not too waxy)
- 2 eggs, lightly whipped
- about 600 g (a little more than a pound) flour (half all-purpose, half semolina (durum)
- 2 Tbs Parmigiano Reggiano
- Put potatoes (whole with skin on) into a pot of salted cold water. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and let simmer until just tender – don’t overcook!
- Peel the skins off of the potatoes and mash them in a ricer or food mill.
- On a wooden cutting board, make a well with about 400 grams of the flour. Add the potatoes, egg, Parmigiano, (and more flour as necessary) and mix gently, pushing the dough together gently until it is well combined and not sticky – don’t knead!
- Working with small pieces, roll out dough with hands making a snake. Then using a quick up and down motion, cut the gnocchi to the desired size. Put the gnocchi onto a tray, avoiding that they touch each other.
- Drop the gnocchi in batches