Makes 4 large cracker sheets
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/3 cup Poggi Bonsi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Poggi Bonsi Fine Grey Sea Salt*
- Preheat the oven to 450°F with a heavy baking sheet or an Emile Henry baking stone on the middle oven rack.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add the water and olive oil. Stir until a dough comes together.
- Knead the dough briefly on a work surface until it comes together in a smooth ball. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces, and roll each piece into a ball. Allow them to rest for another 10 minutes.
- Flatten out one piece of dough on a sheet of parchment paper, then top with a second parchment sheet. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough as thinly as possible into an irregular, organic shape. Because the parchment tends to get bunched up, after each time you roll, peel off the top parchment, replace it, flip the whole deal, then peel off the back parchment, replace it, and continue rolling. The dough should be very thin.
- Remove the top piece of parchment. Sprinkle salt over the dough.
- Roll your rolling pin over the surface of the dough to press the toppings into it. Slide the dough on the hot baking sheet or stone, and bake about 5 to 10 minutes, until the cracker is light to deep golden. It will bubble in spots, and the color will be somewhat irregular.
- Repeat this with the remaining pieces of dough. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Serve whole or break crackers into pieces.
*Any combination of salt, spices or herbs can be used to top the crackers.