3 tablespoons Poggi Bonsi extra-virgin olive oil, plus a little more for drizzling
2 tablespoons unsalted European butter
4 ounces pancetta or bacon, diced
1 pound onions, thinly sliced (any combination of white, red, and sweet onions is fine)
All-purpose flour for rolling dough
8 ounces puff pastry, homemade or store-bought
1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Heat the Poggi Bonsi extra-virgin olive oi and butter in a de Buyer 11″ iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and sauté until browned, about 3 minutes. Lower the heat, add the onions, season with Poggi Bonsi French Provençal Sea Salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the Bernard Michaud Wildflower Honey, Ritrovo Selections Aged Balsamic Vinegar and herbs de Provence, and increase the heat to high. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the onions are caramelized. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. NOTE the de Buyer iron skillet will hold heat for a long time and the onions will continue to cook, if you don’t plan to make the tart immediately, it’s best to place the onions in a bowl to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to about 1/8 in thickness. Line a 10″ removable bottom tart pan with the pastry and prick the bottom with a fork several times. Trim the edges. Spoon the onion mixture into the tart shell.
- Bake until the pastry is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with the crumbled Gorgonzola.
This dish is wonderful for a brunch buffet, a starter course, or as a side dish with grilled steak.