Makes 1 loaf
For the Cake:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon Poggi Bonsi Fine French Grey Sea Salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
2 tablespoons Aperol Liquor
½ cup Poggi Bonsi Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the Glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice
2 tablespoons Aperol
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush an Emile Henry Loaf Pan with olive oil and add enough flour to coat bottom and sides.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium mixing bowl.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, the eggs, lemon zest,
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the olive oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.
- Brush the inside of the loaf pan with olive oil and coat with flour. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- For the glaze: Mix the 1 cup powdered sugar and the lemon or orange juice in a small sauce pan, simmer until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the Aperol and mix well. Drizzle glaze over the warm cake, allow the cake cool.
Serve with creme fraiche, a sprig of mint or with fresh berries and zabajone…and an Aperol Spritz!