Strawberries with balsamic vinegar will not hold for any length of time. You can sugar the berries an hour or two before serving them, but no longer. Sprinkle on the vinegar and pepper, very judiciously, just before serving. Feel free to mix in some blackberries or blueberries for color; their addition is a striking one.
The berries, of course, can be served solo, but for an even more elegant presentation, add a few crisp cookies or a slice of pound, chocolate sponge or angel food cake.
- 1 quart strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced1/2 pint blackberries or blueberries, optional1/4 cup sugar, or more to taste1 teaspoon Six-year Due Vittorie Balsamic Vinegar by Maletti , or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh mint leaves or mint sprig for garnish, optional
- Toss strawberries and other berries, if using, with the 1/4 cup sugar, and let sit for 10 minutes or longer. Do not refrigerate.
- Sprinkle with the Six-year Due Vittorie Balsamic Vinegar by Maletti; toss gently, then taste and add more sugar or vinegar if necessary. Sprinkle with the pepper, toss again, and serve, garnished with the mint, if you like. Spoon into a glass or bowl, and serve with biscotti or a thick slice of cake (chocolate is divine, angel food is good too).