These little cupcakes are bursting with yummy almond flavor. Decorated with chocolate curls from the Red Tea Room, they make an easy delightful holiday dessert. This makes about 36 mini cupcakes. Be sure to check out all the cupcake makings available at Poggi Bonsi in Olde Burien and at The Landing in Renton.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/2 cup low fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 3 (12-capacity) mini-muffin tins with mini-muffin/cupcake papers.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl, blend butter with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add sugar gradually and beat for 2 minutes, or until fluffy. Add eggs and extracts, beating well after each addition.
- Add 1/2 the dry ingredients, then 1/2 the milk; beat. Repeat. Scrape down batter to make sure well blended.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon batter into each cupcake liner, filling about 7/8 full. Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in tins for 10 minutes. Remove from tins and cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 oz cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
2 – 3 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of almond extract
Pastel food coloring (optional)
Top with Red Tea Room Chocolate Curls
- With an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes on medium speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
- Add the almond extract and food coloring if desired and mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get to desired sweetness and thickness.
- Either spread on with a blunt knife or spatula, or spoon into a piping bag to decorate your cake or cupcake