Seattle is sister city to Perugia which is the capital of Umbria; a region in central Italy between Tuscany and Le Marche. Perugia is not far from Deruta the world-famous Italian ceramic village where many of our Italian ceramics are made. The Seattle-Perugia sister city association encourages educational, cultural, commercial and personal exchanges.
The Association Supports:
University relationships and student exchanges – with Perugia’s Università per Stranieri di Perugia (the University for Foreigners), known the world over as one of Italy’s finest schools of Italian language and culture, and with the larger Università degli studi di Perugia (35 thousand plus students).
Enthusiasm for art – Perugia is the center of the great Umbrian school of painting of the 15th Century and home to a remarkable collection of paintings and sculpture in the National Gallery of Umbria. The association recently sponsored a group tour of the Roman Art from the Louvre.
Cultural, govenrmental, and people exchanges and friendships – Together, the two cities will soon install an original bronze totem in a major transportation plaza of Perugia. Because global understanding really begins with individuals, one on one, the sister city program gives all citizens a chance to engage in personal diplomacy.
Association Activities Include:
- Local meetings for our membership on a quarterly basis.
- Social events that often include a lecture/discussion on a topic of interest.
- Tuition scholarships to members for study at the Università per Stranieri (University for Foreigners) in Perugia.
- Annual projects – sometimes people-to-people exchanges between our two cities; more recently a beautiful calendar of the two cities.
- Participation in the annual market of Perugia’s sister cities, bringing a taste of Seattle culture and products to Perugia every spring. Every 1st and third Sunday afternoon, at Caffè Umbria, our Italian Table: join us to speak and practice Italian, and only Italian!
Poggi Bonsi is a Patron member of the association. To learn more about the Seattle-Perugia Sister City Association visit their website http://www.seattle-perugia.org.
Keli Sim DeRitis is an artist, designer, passionate cook, teacher, and tour guide. Keli founded Poggi Bonsi in 2001 to share her love of European travel, food, wine, and culture.
Connect with me on Google+